Saturday, September 28, 2013

a body & mind of change

You know in any new activity we do, whether it be a new hobby, job, sport, etc etc, we go through a phase of change. Good or bad, something within us changes. We begin to learn about said activity, we strategize, we ponder, we try and practice. We are in the process of expanding our minds, opening new doors, even when you don't see it that way. We are forever evolving beings, we never remain the same. We all know this, it's not a new scientific find, but how often do you actually contemplate the fact that you are not the same person from yesterday? Sure, we can sit and think about the person we were 10 years ago, even 5 years ago with the person today and see how different you've become, however subtle or great. But have you ever noticed the changes from day to day?

I've been consciously paying attention to that lately, with myself. I was curious to see how I differ from the previous day or two. I'm in a great position to observe this as a lot around me has been changing in way of job, sport, relationship/lifestyle. I find with my new job, even though the actual position I hold is exactly the same, my frame of mind is different. I am happier. Because I feel this sense of happiness and calm, I find that I am even more engaged in my job than I was at my previous place. I found a hunger to want to learn more, understand more, study more. This thought process changed in a matter of 3 days! THREE DAYS! Recently one of the coaches, Joon, at my box was correcting a lift I was doing. I was struggling with getting the bar up on my shoulders. After giving me a few key points and then watching me get it wrong a couple of more times before figuring it out, he commented that I am stronger than I think I am. And I think he is right. After I got the lift right, the amount of weight on the bar didn't feel as heavy. Shortly after, Aaron stated to me that I am lacking confidence in my lifting. He may be right. I know I can lift, and I have been making progress with breaking my own records, but I definitely hold some fear. Because of Joon and Aaron's comments, my thought process has changed. Why am I afraid? What am I afraid of? I've turned my internal conversation around.

My body is different from the one that walked into my box 4 months ago. I haven't lost a ton of weight, or gained massive biceps. These changes are more subtle but to those who are paying attention, are noticeable. I don't recognize my legs in the mirror anymore. These legs still have a ways to go before I'd say they are in prime fitness condition, but they aren't the blubbery mass they once were. It's a strange phase I am in. I use to daydream of having the legs of some of Hollywoods hottest leading ladies, slender yet fit. And now, I look at ladies like Katie Hogan and those are the legs (and butt) I aspire to have. Witnessing the change in my Quads and Calves (as these are the most noticeable) has been awe-inspiring. My legs are beautiful.

Change can be good. Living the change, being aware of the change is even better. Be a part of your ever growing body & mind. Love yourself enough to aware of all of it's possibilities...

No comments:

Post a Comment