Thursday, June 26, 2014

one on one: day one

Today I began a new one on one session with one of my CrossFit coaches, Joon. Together we plan on strengthening my weaknesses and accomplishing some objectives from the list he had me make a week or so ago. He called today a "light" day, a sort of "consultation." If today was light, I'm scared to see what is in store. Honestly though, I loved every sweaty minute of today's session. Today's session reminded me of my days in high school during volleyball practice, when we'd warm up and go through drills sweating like crazy, and I never wanted practice to end. I kind of didn't want my session to end, it felt good to really have something catered to me.

So this is what he had me do today:

Warm-up: 500m casual row on a low damper
2x: Banded Walk 10m
      Reverse Banded Walk 10m
      Lateral Banded Walk 10m
Than a Clean Warm-up:
      10 Deadlifts
      10 Hang Cleans
      10 Push Presses
      10 Back Squats
      10 Good Mornings

2x: Dumbbell Complex Left- Clean + Press x6
      Dumbbell Complex Right- Clean + Press x6
      Deadbugs x6

3x: 1 min Airdyne
      1 min Medicine Ball throws (forward and backwards)

Finished off with: 80 Barbell Push-ups, for every time I released the barbell I had to do 10 Dumbbell Bicep Curls.

What did I learn from all of this today? Well he spotted some mobility issues, some weaknesses, and some strengths. This is how he drew it up:


Essentially a strength of mine is that I am strong and have power, but a weakness I have is muscle fatigue. Well with muscle fatigue comes mobility issues that can effect performance and work capacity. With the banded walks he spotted that I swing my left leg out, I had no idea. And the funny thing I noticed this evening was during a warm-up practice for the Snatch, I saw that when I go into my landing stance, my right foot turns out far more than my left. My right knee is a source of issues for me, typically though not so much lately. Joon has talked to me a million and one times about how important mobility is and how little dysfunctions can set off a chain reaction. And I understand that, and always have, but now actually seeing it on myself and where it lies is a bit eye opening. I really look forward to seeing what else he finds and more importantly experience changes/fixes of my weaknesses. 

I am officially exhausted and I think it is time to retire for the day. But before I go, I just want to say how thankful I am for Joon agreeing to work with me and help me. I have no words to express my gratitude and I am so excited for my future sessions!

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." -Fred Devito



No comments:

Post a Comment