Saturday, November 23, 2013

fighting through the wall

So in yesterday's post I was all excited about losing 3.5# that it slipped my mind to share how my week went that led to that wonderful loss. I have noticed that my diet has slowly changed without consciously trying. It's interesting to realize that when you begin to work your body hard, it will ask for the appropriate fuel that is needed. I still haven't experienced cravings for the sugary weaknesses that had a hold of me for many years. I'm so thankful that I have overcome that. Now as a reminder, I am not giving up ALL sugar, I'm giving up refined sugar. What I also have been conscious of is how much natural sugar I am taking in. My fruit intake has increased, but not excessively, more like to a healthier level. Other than fruit, the only other thing I ingest with some natural sugar in it is a 1% chocolate milk. It is reserved only for after a workout and I know dinner isn't coming right away. It helps hold me over until dinner time. I have tried to minimize how much I drink of it though, and I notice that the taste for it isn't as strong as it once was.

What I do think contributed to my big loss this week is that I really paid attention to my body. I fed it more protein, more green, drank plenty of water, and made sure I stayed on top of my vitamins. I also began to focus more in class at CrossFit Stumptown. Both coaches have told us many times that when we hit that wall where you feel like you can't go on anymore, do five more. So three times this week I focused on pushing myself in that way. And the results? I finished 1st in one class, 2nd in another, and had the most rounds in another. What I noticed I did in those classes was that I pushed myself beyond that wall. When I began to feel tired or weak, I pushed. I didn't linger in between reps or movements, or took my time drinking some water. I went from one movement to the next with controlled haste, I only sipped water, and I kept reminding myself of the goal. I'd use a time I wanted to beat. Or a person I wanted to stay ahead of. It's 90% mental in my opinion. When the side stitches began and the breathing got rougher, that's when I knew I hit my wall, so I focused on five more. I believe that extra effort and my improved diet played a major role in the 3.5# loss this week.

And the result of having lost 10.5# in three weeks? Well for the first time in I'd say six or so years, I was able to try clothes on a size smaller. For a woman whose been overweight for some time now, this is an enormous achievement. I can't wait to see what next week will bring…

No comments:

Post a Comment