Monday, May 26, 2014

murph

Today most Americans will be BBQing and spending time with family, or our shopping in the various sales that are happening. I'm not here to condemn anyone for doing that, it's a day to spend with those you love. But I ask that everyone remember what today really is about. Whether you agree or disagree with any kind of war, we owe the men and women who put their lives on the line for us to have all the things that we have. Let's not be selfish and complacent.

This morning I had the opportunity to watch the movie Lone Survivor for the first time. It is a movie that is inspired by a book written by the only survivor of an operation in Afghanistan. Sometimes we need a smack in a face about what is happening in other parts of the world. This movie made an impact on me, there are not enough Thank You's I could ever say or give to those men who died and the one who made it out.

I participated today with many of my box mates to do a traditional Memorial Day WOD that was named after one of the men who died in that operation, Michael P. Murphy. This WOD was one of his favorite WOD's, and he would perform it while wearing a 20lb vest. So today I did "Murph" for the first time, and I'm not going to lie, it sucked! Many of my gym mates wore weighted vests as well and gave their all. Instead of the one-mile running I did a 2000m row.

"Murph"
1 mile run
100 pull-ups
200 push-ups
300 squats
1 mile run

I finished in 52:02, it is the lease I could do. Thank you to all the men and women who have died and who continue to put their lives in the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment