Friday, January 24, 2014

misinformed nonsense

I have now been doing CrossFit successfully for 8 months. I say successfully because I haven't experienced any injuries that is related to this fitness regimen and/or sport... whatever you want to call it. Even with the progress I've made, some large and some small, I still get the misinformed email, text, and post about how CrossFit is (fill in the blank). Now for those of you who do CrossFit or something similar, you have probably experienced this and know how utterly ridiculous some of the things said to us are. I'm here to set the record straight to my family, my friends, and even those I don't know who happen to ponder onto this blog.

CrossFit does not break bones. CrossFit does not injure joints, muscles, or any other random tissue. CrossFit does not cause death. I'm not going to one day turn into a beast or a man. And I know what you are thinking right now, there are stories out there. Stories and articles from "reputable" sources that talk about how "dangerous" CrossFit is. Well those stories, those "reputable" sources are only telling you a story of one individual out of the thousands upon thousands who do CrossFit. More often than not these articles are riddled with inaccuracies.

The most common share I get are the worried concerns from my loved ones who have read or watched a story about Rhabdomyolysis. This condition is when the skeletal muscle tissue breaks down rapidly due to physical factors, such as crush injuries or strenuous exercise. It is stated that you can read about this condition in the Bible but the earliest modern discovery of it was in the early 1900's. CrossFit did not begin until 2000. The condition has been around far longer than CrossFit and the majority of the people who deal with this condition are typically earthquake victims who live through being crushed by debris. And yes, there are some athletes and exercise enthusiasts who have had the unfortunate experience of this condition. But it was of their own doing, and is not limited to CrossFit.

Accidents and injuries? Yes, these do, can, and will happen. Maybe not to everyone. Some severe, some not so serious. It's not the sport or activity that is to blame for these sort of situations. It is the person(s) involved in said situation. At some point people have really got to grow up and take responsibility for their actions. When it comes to CrossFit, learn how to properly lift before adding weight you can't handle. Trying something new for the first time, like say a handstand? Do it with proper supervision. But know in anything we do, whether it be driving a fast car, riding a bike, running a 10k, or walking your dog, take responsibility for what you are doing. Stop putting the blame on someone or something else. And sometimes genuine accidents happen. These unforeseen circumstances can and will occur, though these are not limited to physical activities (like CrossFit).

So the next time you read or watch a story about CrossFit and how "dangerous" it is or how someone has (fill in the blank), please don't fall for the sensationalized garbage! The worse thing you can do is to talk about something you know little to nothing about. I am grateful for having a wonderful support system and to be surrounded by those who care about my well being. But for the love of my sanity, ask me questions or have a conversation with me about what you saw or heard (or to whom you know is a CrossFitter). Don't be a part of the problem by spreading misinformed nonsense...

No comments:

Post a Comment