Saturday, January 25, 2014

running, again

Today Aaron and I went to Grant High School to utilize their track, which is very nice. I have a goal to run the same 10k I ran in 2010 this coming June. But in order to do that, I have got to get back out there and run again. Last weekend we gave it a try and it was a disaster. My knees weren't happy at the least bit and I could feel a full blown asthma attack coming on. And like the smart person that I am, I left my inhaler at home. I don't know if the cold weather was throwing me off, the bad shoe decision, or a combination of both but it didn't go well.

Getting ready.


I wanted todays go to be a better success, so I did some research on the asthma thing. I don't have a full asthma problem, at least I am not aware that I do. I get seasonal allergies (Spring time) that induces asthma, as many people in Portland do. But as it seems that there are times that I'll get a mild attack throughout the year when I am dealing with congestion or breathing too hard. I had read that if I use my inhaler prior to the run, I shouldn't have any issues. Today I tried that advice, and it worked. My lungs didn't feel like they were going to jump out of my chest and my throat didn't sting at the least. I also know that I have a horrible habit of taking off in full speed when this is suppose to be at a pace that I can handle for a long distance. So I focused pretty damn hard on my speed and intentionally ran slow. I couldn't believe that worked. There were moments when my knee wasn't happy, I'd stop and shake it out and get back to running. I didn't run an entire mile, it was more of an interval sort of thing. My goal is to get to where I can run an entire mile without pain or feeling like I will die any moment. Then I will work up on my speed. Today's mile was accomplished in 15:47, a slow time but I am pleased. We all have to start somewhere!

After completing a total of 2 miles of walking/running.

No comments:

Post a Comment