Thursday, July 24, 2014

one on one: day eight

It's the day after getting my Mojo back and though I am happy, I'm still feeling on edge. I want him to make a full recovery and not worry that at any moment he will need to be rushed to the vets again. So for now we are taking it one day at time and thankful for every moment we have with Mojo.

None of this of course changes the fact that Joon continues to kick my ass into shape. I came into this session feeling a tad bit tired but ready for whatever he was prepared to throw at me... or so I thought. This is what I did today:

Warm-up: 500m Row
Extended Warm-up:
     3 Sets x 2:
          Row for 15 Calories
          10 Hollow Rocks

Rest 1:1

Then,
     3 x 2min of the following KB Complex, rest 1 min between each 3 min round.
          One-hand Clean
          One-hand Jerk
          Right-hand Snatch
          Left-hand Snatch
          Two-hand Swing
          Two-hand Clean- Goblet Squat- Press Combo
          (all done in 25#)

Then,
     20 x 20 Front Squat @ Max Effort (45#)
   
Rest 5 min

Then,
     3 Rounds
          5 Slam Balls (15#)
          20 Lateral Skiers
          (completed in 1:39)

My least favorite of this session was the Row/Hollow Rocks, that is probably because it's a breather. The KB work was fun, but definitely hard. I learned quite quickly how not to clean a KB and have growing bruise to prove it. But by the end of that segment I think I was getting the transitions down. The front squat made me feel like I was locked into an enclosed space even though I had the entire gym to roam around in. Holding the bar for an entire 20 reps made it really hard to breathe. Joon says it's primarily mental, and I know he's right. But man it sucks! For the last portion of our session, Joon wanted me to get the 3 rounds done within 3 minutes, and I laughed at him. Than he said and to surprise him, get it under 2 minutes, I laughed even harder. I had every intention on going as hard and fast I could, and even though this was another breather for me I didn't expect my legs to feel as dead as they became by round three. Well I didn't only surprise Joon, but I surprised myself by getting it done in under 2 minutes. WHAT! Yup, I guess I'm just that awesome. :::wink wink:::

Joon states that he can tell I am getting fitter and stronger. I have to admit that I agree with him but it's odd to acknowledge this about myself. I think if you just see me walking down the street you would never guess that I once deadlifted 225# or that I can back squat 175#. I also don't feel like anyone would guess that I could actually run 200m now without stopping, and maybe one of these days I will surprise myself by running a full 400m without stopping as well. What I have noticed is that I am growing more and more confident with each session/WOD. I am testing my boundaries and pushing through walls. I'm excited to see what else I am capable of and proud of myself for pushing through.

Photos taken from Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment