Sunday, August 3, 2014

losing touch

Recently I got a phone call from my grandfathers wife telling me that basically my grandfather isn't very happy with me. I don't blame him actually. He's hurt that I rarely call and stay in touch with him, and when I do reach out I usually have something to complain about. Not going to lie, hearing the truth stung hard but I needed to hear it. This is what I love about her, she gives it to you straight. It's not that I don't love my grandfather or care about him, I do. I miss him immensely actually and think of him quite often. I have no good excuse to give. But this experience made me realize how much I rely on texting and social media to stay connected with family and friends. We always see that article floating around about this very subject, or it mentioned on 60 minutes. The truth is the vast majority of us have lost touch with our loved ones. We rely on status updates to know what's going on in someones life.

So I have been thinking about this all week and this weekend really hit it home for me. You see, I am blessed with having so many wonderful people in my life. But unfortunately, I don't get to see very many of these wonderful people very often. This makes me sad. I realize that for many of these people I truly do not know what is going on in their lives except for what they may post on Instagram, or Facebook, or etc etc. That is when I noticed while glancing at Facebook that many of the ones I care about were out and about doing things within the very same city I live in. They were sharing laughter and making memories and this really hit me hard. I miss them.

Family and friendships are so important. Don't let yourself get lost in cyber world and lose touch with the ones you love. Reach out to someone you haven't seen in a while, make time for them. I know I want to make time for many people in my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment